SWEET POTATO WEEVIL
State Interior Quarantine
quarantine is established against the following pest, its hosts, and possible carriers:
A. Pest. Sweet potato weevil (Cylas formicarius elegantulus).
B. Area Under Quarantine.
1. That portion of San Diego County bounded by a line drawn as follows: Beginning at the intersection of Sunset Cliffs Boulevard and Interstate Highway 8; then, easterly along Interstate Highway 8 to its intersection with Japatul Road; then, southwesterly along said road to its intersection with Lyons Valley Road; then, southwesterly along Lyons Valley Road to its intersection with Barrett Lake Road; then, southeasterly and southerly along Barrett Lake Road to its intersection with State Highway 94; then, southeasterly along said highway to its intersection with State Highway 188; then, southerly along State Highway 188 to its intersection with the United States-Mexico border; then, westerly along said border to its intersection with the Pacific Ocean coastline; then, northerly along said coastline to its intersection with the San Diego River; then, easterly along said river to its intersection with Sunset Cliffs Boulevard; then, southwesterly along said boulevard to the point of beginning.
C. Articles and Commodities Covered.
1. Hosts. Sweet potato plants and all plant parts except seed and including vines, draws, and slips, and sweet potato roots, also called yams, camote, batatas, boniatos, buniatos, and moniato (Ipomoea batatas), and morning-glory plants (Ipomoea spp., Calystegia spp., and Convolvulus spp.).
2. Possible Carriers. Possible carriers include all appliances used in the growing, harvesting, processing, storage, and movement of hosts including, but not limited to field bins, trucks, tractors, harvesting equipment, and any other thing which the Department determines to be capable of spreading any stage of Sweet potato weevil.
1. Articles and commodities covered in subsection (C)(1) are prohibited movement within or from the area under quarantine except as provided in (a), (b), (c) or (d) below:
a. If accompanied by a certificate issued by an authorized agricultural official affirming that the articles and commodities originated from a site or facility which is apparently free from Sweet potato weevil.
b. If accompanied by a certificate issued by an authorized agricultural official affirming that the articles and commodities have been inspected or treated in a manner approved by the Department and are apparently free from Sweet potato weevil.
c. If purchased at a retail sales location and accompanied by a sales receipt.
d. If the article or commodity was produced outside the area under quarantine and is being moved through the area under quarantine by direct route and without delay in vehicles or containers which prevent spillage of the article or commodity while en route through the area.
2. Articles and commodities covered in subsection (C)(2) are prohibited movement within or from the area under quarantine except if cleaned and treated to the satisfaction of the county agricultural commissioner.